March 3, 2018 This Old (Conference) House: Celebrating 50 years of NYC landmarks
A talk and photographic presentation of the "NYC Landmarks Class of 1967" was given in the historic Conference House kitchen. 298 Satterlee Street, Conference House Park.
Although the historic Billopp House aka Conference House was built c. 1680 and restored as a museum house in 1926, it did not receive official NYC landmark designation protection until 1967 when the City Council passed New York City’s landmark protection bill. It was signed into law by Mayor Robert F. Wagner on April 19th 1965.
A flurry of landmark designation took place in the early years of the new law. In 1965, the City designated 39 buildings, with the first building to receive designation: the 300 year-old Pieter Claesen Wyckoff House in Brooklyn, which is considered the oldest surviving built structure in NYC. The following year over 100 buildings received designation. And in 1967, 80 structures received designation including the Conference House along with 18 other structures on Staten Island.
Fifty years later, in large part to this landmark protection, these structures are still proudly standing to preserve Staten Island’s rich history.
November 25, 2017 – Walk Back into History: 400 Years of Architectural Styles on Staten Island
Virginia N. Sherry of the Preservation League presented and discussed over 200 photographs
of historic buildings in 16 neighborhoods. The two-hour talk at the Stapleton Public Library was made possible in part by a DCA Premier Grant from the Council on the Arts & Humanities for Staten Island with public funding from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
Saturday, September 30, 2017 - Porches, Pillars and Posts: Preserving Historic Architecture
The Preservation League of Staten Island celebrated its 40th Anniversary at a sold out Gala Dinner at Casa Belvedere, which is not only a uniquely beautiful site, but also an outstanding example of preservation by adaptive reuse.
The Gala journal includes a comprehensive overview of Staten Island preservation history
and issues in essays with illustrations. To purchase a copy of the Gala journal, please inquire at email@example.com
A selection of snapshots of our happy celebrants.
Our honored guest was Barnett Shepherd – historian, author and ardent preservationist – one of the founders of the Preservation League, and its first president (1977 to 1981). Shepherd served as the League’s executive director (2012 to 2017). He addressed the assembled guests:
Preservation Milestones in My Career
(The Joy of Discovery and the People Who Made It Possible)
See News for the complete text of Mr. Shepherd's remarks.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is flanked by Barnett Shepherd, left, and Snug Harbor Cultural Center chairman Thomas Schleier during a visit in 1977.
(Staten Island Advance)
Bay Street, photograph from Parish's Art Work of Staten Island, 1894. SIHS, SIM
May 7, 2017 - Van Duzer Street Stroll presented with Jane's Walk
John Kilcullen of the Preservation League, led the stroll along iconic Van Duzer Street. The well attended event was sponsored by the Van Duzer Civic Association and Jane's Walk.
John Kilcullen (in hat) greets the group.
A sampling of sites.
October 23, 2016 - First Annual Membership Recognition Event
A chance for PLSI to salute its members and learn what we can do for them, and what they can do for us. And, of course, eat, drink and relax with fellow preservation enthusiasts.
April 2016 - Annual Membership Meeting / Awards Luncheon /
Board of Directors Election.
See Awards for details.
March 13, 2016 - Stonework in Staten Island Architecture
Talk and PowerPoint presentation by Barnett Shepherd, Executive Director, The Preservation League of Staten Island, with added commentary by Will Lenihan, Natural Science Curator, Staten Island Museum. Russell Powell, President, and Don DeFillo, Island Housewrights
December 2015 - Snug Harbor House Tour
This tour featured visits to the Unitarian Church and nine turn-of-the century suburban houses in the Shingle Style, Colonial Revival Style and Arts and Crafts Style, on Tysen Street, Clinton Avenue and Fillmore Street. The home visits were preceded by talks on the neighborhood’s history, and followed by refreshments in the Unitarian Church Hall.
November 2015 - The Bay Street Corridor, An Illustrated History
November 2015 - Landmarks by the Rails
Led by PLSI Former President John Kilcullen and Board member Joe Ferlazzo, this tour began at the St. George Ferry Terminal with stops at the Civic Center’s municipal buildings, the U.S. Lighthouse Depot Site (1862), and the Joseph H. Lyons Pool and Recreation Center (1934). Boarding the train, we traveled to Stapleton’s Tappen Park and to the former Seaman’s Retreat in Clifton.
This tour can be repeated! Arrangements can be made by contacting PLSI at 718.980.1551.
October 2015 - West Brighton Waterfront Tour
This community faces the Kill van Kull on Staten Island’s North Shore. Our first stop was the Caddell Dry Dock & Repair Co. Begun in 1903, this is the oldest shipyard still operating in New York Harbor. The Wavertree, a sailing ship built in 1885, is docked there for restoration. The Lennie Construction Corp., producing architectural millwork and metal work, was our next stop, followed by three connected cemeteries, Trinity Chapel, Fountain, and Staten Island Cemetery, where are found the graves of many Civil War veterans and other notable Staten Islanders. The last stop was Heritage Park, Staten Island’s newest park, offering spectacular views of passing ships, together with views of New Jersey and Manhattan.
December 4, 2016 - Holiday at Seguine Mansion
About twenty-five PLSI members visited Seguine Mansion on a Sunday afternoon to "party like it's 1838." George Burke, the only resident of an Historic Trust House who lives there by legal right, described his colorful life on a nineteenth-century working estate. He described the previous Friday's mayhem when the 75-member crew of an independent movie production roamed the mansion from 7 am to 10 pm unplugging all the lights and moving furniture.
There was lively discussion of history and light refreshments. Everyone visited the 20 horses at the stables in a twilight snowfall. The consensus was,"enchanting."
Armed with juicy carrots, guests made friends with the denizens of the Seguine Equestrian Center.
George Burke shares one of his many colorful stories of a lifetime on Staten Island and how he came to live in the Seguine Mansion.
The group tours the downstairs hallway.
October 23, 2016, PLSI's first Annual Membership Recognition Event in the stunning Sunday School Annex. Members and guests to get to know each other and PLSI, and offer their input for future PLSi initiatives.
April 17, 2016. George Burke and his Board of Directors celebrate receiving PLSI's first Joann Nelsen Award for interior design at the Annual Awards Luncheon,
PLSI members serve Awardees, Guests and
Stonework in Staten Island Architecture
March 13, 2016.
Snug Harbor House Tour,
December 2015. Tyson Street.
Snug Harbor House Tour, December 2015.
Caddell Dry Dock & Repair Co
West New Brighton Waterfront Tour,
October 11, 2015